Monday, December 6, 2010

"Ameryka nie Istnieje" by Wojciech Orliński

As you probably already know, I'm a little bit crazy. Crazy about USA and crazy about photography. Maybe I'm also crazy about other stuff? Who knows... One of my strange hobbies is collecting books published in Poland and in polish, but describing USA or at least being connected with this big country. Recent of them is "Ameryka nie istnieje" written by Wojciech Orliński. To make it even more crazy, I would like to say that I was working with Wojtek in one company from 1997 till 2000. I think I know this guy quite well (but he probably doesn't remember me:) and I always was fan of his articles published in "Gazeta Wyborcza". He was writing about movies, computer games and this kind of technical stuff, so it's hard not to like the guy! Now he even has a blog! But let's get back to the book...
Title is really puzzling - in english it means "America doesn't exist". And author throughout the book is trying to proof that what we know about America is only our imagination. And to some extent I agree with Wojtek. This country is different than European ones. We have a lot of virtual stuff there. But isn't virtualization something trendy nowadays? More I read it, more interesting it gets. I really recommend this book, because I like the style, I like the stories, I like America shown the way it's shown here!

No comments: