Saturday, October 30, 2010

Wines #9: Vranac

When I visited Montenegro in June, I accidentally came across nice wine called Vranac. The first bottle I bought was from 2006 and it turned out to be nice. So I've started to look for more. It was not that easy. Every store had 2008, but 2006 seemed to be limited. Finally I found some bottles here and there and got 4 or 5 back to Poland. Of course I've also bought some from 2008, but I must admit it's not the same. However it's still worth buying if you don't have enough luck to find 2006.
Vranac has red-ruby color, sometimes getting even into purple. It's very balanced in taste although rather distinct, full and having a lot of tannins. You can feel some tastes of cinnamon, chocolate, black berries and even wood. As the name shows us it's completely based on Vranac grapevine. You can serve it with steaks, spicy food and nice grilled meats. Or drink it alone. I definitely recommend it if you can bring from Montenegro. In Poland you can find this wine, but will have to pay more than twice the original price (3-4 EUR) - like 35-40 PLN!!! It's too expensive in my opinion.
And don't try Vranac 2007 - I've heard it was not a good year and wine is sour.

No comments: