Saturday, August 21, 2010

Valencia

I've been always dreaming of visiting Valencia. This time my kids asked me to go to Spain for vacation and unfortunately during summer season the cheapest air tickets you can buy are to Barcelona. Even worse (or maybe better) it turned out to be dramatic difference when you fly from Warsaw or Katowice. I've paid 2600 PLN for 4 persons flying KTW->BCN instead of paying 3400 PLN from WAW. First of all I saved 1200 PLN on tickets itself (had money to rent a car in Spain), then I was departing from really nice airport with good service. Of course I had to pay 69 PLN for airport parking in Katowice (I think it's great price for 8 days) and about 250 PLN for gas, but it still gives me some savings. I recommend flying from Katowice if you're not afraid of 3 hours drive. And I was buying tickets just few days before departure, so in such situation price was really very good. But let's get back to Valencia...
It's the city located about 4 hours drive from Barcelona airport, but is worth visiting. In the 1957 the city suffered severe flood by the Turia river. It was even 5 meters of water in some places! Of course nowadays it's nothing strange when we compare our floods in Poland, but for Valencia it was like a milestone. They just decided to... drain and reroute the river! When I first realized it I couldn't believe, but when I saw beautiful park in the old riverbed, I was honestly shocked! This guys were really brave to change a river course. Respect!
First day we spent on visiting different parts of the city itself. You can see some pictures below...

No comments: