Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Doctor visit

Today I visited my physician to ask for recommendations for Ecuador trip and to get some vaccines. I received vaccine for typhus, diphtheria and tetanus. Fortunately my hepatitis vaccines was ok, so I avoided them this time. One that I have to do is yellow fever, but Medicover doesn't have it. It's limited to governmental clinics. In addition to that I got some prescriptions for drugs I might need when in Ecuador. One of the most important is medicine for malaria called Malaron. Besides I got some special info about potential diseases and how to prevent them. I think it's worth writing down, so I'll enlist them below:
1. When there's possibility of malaria one should use Malaron or other similar drugs - very important thing is to take it few days before entering the dangerous zone and few days after leaving it.
2. Main prevention method against malaria is also usage of repellents like Mugga or Mosquitex Care Plus DEET 50
3. Another important disease is diarrhea. One can try to avoid it, but if it happens, use Xifaxan, Gastrolit, Lacium, Linex forte, Enterol, Loperamid, Laremid, Imodium, Stoperan, Ciphin, Cipronex, Cipropol, Tinizadol or other similar. It's a must to read attached leaflet. My doctor recommended to take Ciphin and Gastrolit, so they'll be in my first aid kit for sure!
4. One should also take something against fever. In my situation this is ibuprofen or something similar.
5. There's a recommendation to have some kind of general purpose antibiotic. It can be one of: Sumamed, Azitrox or Azitromycin.
6. Another threat comes from allergies and skin diseases. One should have some medicines for them. My doc recommended me to take Flucinar, Bedicort and Telfexo. But others also exist.
7. Of course one should also complement first aid kit with different types of bandages, band-aids and other dressings. But it's better idea to find some first aid kit in the shop and just add other drugs to it.

I've just decided to write it down, because it may be of some help in the future. It also can help you to prepare for a trip to South America or other countries, but it's even better idea to check required vaccines on official US pages or your local clinic. Health is really important and can't be passed over in preparation process.

No comments: