Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Disneyland and Wild Animal Park

Yesterday was our first day in Disneyland. I've to say that you need plenty of time to get there and back, but it's definitely worth going. First we headed to the parking. Parked on the Mickey level and left our car there. From the parking to the entrance they've special worm train that is really slow and it takes about 20-30 minutes to get to the main gate after leaving your car. But when you're finally there, you start your patience training. First is the line to the security check, then to ticket office, then to enter the park and finally about 30-45 minutes of waiting to every attraction. But what's worth saying, there are two parks - first Disneyland Park and second - Adventure Park. On the first day we visited only the first one and left the other for another day this week. Disneyland Park is dedicated to younger kids and has plenty of rides, shows and attractions. My 6-year old daughter was really happy with this, but my older one was even more happy and was trying to ride every possible attraction. During 6 and a half hour of staying in the park, we managed to do 13 attractions and the longest line was about 45 minutes. Of course this day was not dedicated to photography, so I took only about 200 pictures. Can try to show you these two:

Today we decided to relax a little bit - I mean not to be in such hurry and try to visit something more quiet. In such case we've chosen Wild Animal Park - nice safari type zoo located about 25 miles to the east from Carlsbad/Oceanside area. Visiting this place was a part of our deal with Souther California Citypass and we could decide between San Diego Zoo and this park. And it was a good choice. Maybe worse for kids, but better for me. I managed to catch some birds with my camera and what's the most interesting and what I'm proud of most is the first hummingbird picture in my life. This hummingbird was caught in completely wild environment and to be honest, by accident. I though it's not so easy to photograph such small bird. I read a lot of articles about techniques of shooting these beasts. And this time I had luck and just keep camera with proper lens in my hand while noticed this small creature. Here you can see effects:

EOS 40D, 70-200/4L+1.4x @ 215mm, f5.6, 1/800, ISO400

EOS 40D, 70-200/4L+1.4x @ 235mm, f5.6, 1/1250, ISO400

EOS 40D, 70-200/4L+1.4x @ 235mm, f5.6, 1/1250, ISO400

I also managed to catch some other nice birds. Please see just two examples below:

EOS 40D, 70-200/4L+1.4x @ 280mm, f5.6, 1/5000, ISO400

EOS 40D, 70-200/4L+1.4x @ 180mm, f7.1, 1/500, ISO400

This is all for today. Tomorrow we plan to see Sea World in San Diego - located in the swine flu county - here, in states, people doesn't seem to be scared with the flu, they live rather as usual, so it's again a lot of mess, but I hope only as a sensation that can fill the media time and space...

4 comments:

Sylwester said...

Chris,
bird's photos are stunning! Little hummy is my dream. Maybe, sometime in the future.

Nice to hear that the problem with swine flu is exaggerated only by media.

Regards,

Sylwester

Mike said...

Nice pictures, as usually...
By the way, it's very nice weather here in Poland. Long weekend ahead and we (me, Liza and Jacob) are heading for Wigry lake. Personally I've already planned nice bike trip for Friday morning along Rospuda river. Not that I'll be taking such professional pictures as yours ;) but I'll take my compact camera with me (no tripod obviously).

See you soon, Mike

-C said...

Sylwek,
I decided that one of our next phototrips should be called "Hummerem na hummingbirdy". What do you think about it?
-C.
ps. of course it'll be after Ecuador trip :)

Sylwester said...

Chris,
good idea :))
I told you about hummingbirds parks near Phoenix, Arizona. But of course, California is great!

Sylwester