Thursday, February 26, 2009

Plasma TV

Finally I got it. My new TV. The purchase that has been put off for over a year. First because prices were high, later because prices were plummeting and it was still a hope to get it cheaper. Last weekend I decided that price is satisfying and in the days of world crisis and rising PLN/USD exchange rate it's better to eventually buy this plasma. And here it's. My Panasonic TH-42PZ85.
Yes, it's plasma. Not a trendy, but shitty LCD display. I've been owner of LCD since 2007 and have to say that it's a crap. Colors are false, black is gray, white is gray, everything is strange. Quite different than on my new plasma display. Besides my LCD is smaller and has poor remote.
Moreover as far as I know this plasma has Linux inside! You can even read GNU license in tv menu. Amazing...
And what's even more important you've some hidden menus:
- hotel menu (you can select primary source of signal after tv turn on among other things)
- service menu (you can calibrate your colors here, but you've to be experienced in how it works. Otherwise you can easily damage your display using this nice and advanced menu)
- reset/cold boot menu (this is displaying to you all the info about tv status, but can also do hard/factory reset of the display. Very useful stuff when you plan to sell device to new customer :)
I don't want to reveal here how to access above menus, because one could accuse me of damaging his tv. But for intelligent people it's not very complicated to browse some pages and find access key strike combination.
For me there's one open question: how to get access to the Linux console and what is root password to this tv? If you can help, please drop me a message. Thanks!

No comments: