Monday, June 9, 2008

New laptop

So finally I've my new computer - instead of big old junk, I have new 17" Toshiba X200 laptop. Currently I'm migrating all my software and data to the new machine and as usual I've to complain a little bit. First, operating system. If you want to buy a new computer in Poland you've to buy it with Windows operating system pre-installed. It itself is not bad, because as you can expect price is low enough, but you're convicted to use POLISH version of OS. And I can't stand using polish software, because of obscure translations - I can't figure out how to do what - even shutting down machine could be a problem. Moreover I was convicted to buy Vista, not XP - and this system is something new - not exactly worse, but it requires some time to get used. That's why I ordered english version of Vista for additional 250 pln and of course used original software key from the bottom of my new laptop - it works! I can't understand why it's so difficult to have a choice.
Because of this small whim I spent last week installing all the additional stuff and drivers that you originally got with new laptop, when you like the original language producer force you to use. But I somehow overcame it and started data migration. And suddenly came across first obstacle - Outlook to Windows Mail migration. Of course I figured out how to import .dbx files, but Windows Mail is a piece of shit and it doesn't work correctly - it loses mail folders and simple messages all the time and every time you run it, it has a different folders messed up. I gave up and installed Thunderbird. It's also not perfect, but has one advantage - it simply works! So I warn you against using Windows Mail!!!
Besides I'm quite happy with my new machine - it's big, has good screen, is fast and has a good video card - now I hope to process my pictures faster and have more space on the table. And to be honest, even Vista is not bad - it's just different and works quite fast. So no complains anymore! Let's enjoy what we have!

No comments: